Monday, June 4, 2007

Nutrition

I could write volumes on my nutritional viewpoint. But in a nutshell...

I chose to employ a vegetarian lifestyle in 1991. In 2006, for a variety of factors, I made the decision to start consuming regular portions of wild salmon. The vegetarian lifestyle served me well for many years, offering what I believe to be optimal athletic performance and health. At times, eating as a vegetarian can be challenging, especially during international travel (or when visiting Chicago!). Although I admire those who live a vegan lifestyle (Jurek, are you listening?), I simply can't imagine life without a cheese pizza or the occasional omelette! To borrow a quote from Don Kardong, "Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos."

I firmly believe that modern sciene--when coupled with a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole, unrefined, non-processed foods--gives us an incredible advantage. Gazillions of dollars and countless hours have been spent in the pursuit of identifying and designing supplements that fill in the gaps in our nutrition and offer a critical edge in athletics and overall health. Why not take advantage of this?


Unfortunately, marketing, along with anecdotal and often inaccurate evidence can easily confuse the consumer and lead us astray. So, I've attempted to let the science and my own personal experience be my guiding light.


In over 20 years of endurance sport competition, I've seen and used most of the garbage available on the market--from foul-tasting, over-processed "energy" bars to supplements that promised the moon. Through most of that time period, one company has consistently delivered high-quality, reasonably priced supplements and FUEL appropriate for use by endurance athletes: HAMMER NUTRITION.

Brian Frank, the founder of the Whitefish, Montana-based company, is as nice of a guy as you'll ever meet, and 100% committed to shattering the myths perpetrated by many of the supplement and "energy" product companies today. Brian's valued colleague Steve Born, the company's technical advisor, has become a good friend over the years, and taught me more about sports nutrition than I ever thought I could know. If you are even moderately serious about your own sports performance, you owe it to yourself to download a (free) copy of Steve's "Endurance Athlete's Guide to Success--Everything you need to know about optimum caloric, electrolyte, and fluid intake for training and competition." It's a treasure trove of information on sports nutrition.

When you're ready to investigate Hammer Nutrition's superior products, just click HERE to start the process of finding out which FUEL is right for you. Click HERE when you're ready to order. If you mention my name (Greg Pressler, a.k.a. Desert Fish), the friendly customer service folks can look up my customer number AND give you a 15% discount on your first order! I'll keep track of any credits I earn and match those credits with a donation to Soles4Souls.

No comments: